Journalist Chanda Chimba III says “I Am Being Persecuted”

Chanda Chimba III at woodlands policeFreelance journalist Chanda Chimba III says he is ready to suffer harm at the hands of the PF government persecuting him for producing Stand Up for Zambia documentaries that were critical of President Michael Sata in the run up to the 2011 elections.

Chimba was arrested last week and charged with allegedly producing articles that exposed the other side of President Sata’s political career covering over three decades.

The television documentaries are now on the internet and President Sata is reportedly upset thereby ordering police officers to arrest and silence Chimba into disowning his own works. Chimba is since slapped with two charges – publishing an unregistered newspaper and being found in possession of stolen property.

Giving his first public interview on Crossfire Blogtalk Radio on Tuesday, Chimba said he was being persecuted for taking an unpopular stand at the time against then opposition leader Sata, The Post and their associates.

“I am ready to be hurt if the PF wants to,” he said. “If I didn’t do Stand Up for Zambia, I was not going to be in cells or taken to court. Journalists need protection. Even the people should not just be standing up for The Post. There are journalist at ZNBC, at Muvi TV and Times of Zambia.”

Chimba dispelled assertion by The Post that he had gone into hiding after President Sata won the elections.

“I never went into hiding. What I did was just to keep a low profile,” he said.

Chimba said he had no apologies to make for the documentaries and was in no way seeking reconciliation with anyone because as far as he was concerned, he committed no wrong contributing to the political discourse of the country.

Asked by presenters of the show about his relationship with Post editor and PF chief propagandist Fred M’membe, Chimba says he never knew him personally.

“What did I do wrong to reconcile with The Post?” he wondered. “They [The Post] hated me because I took a stand.

“They tried to scare me so that I don’t go ahead with Stand up for Zambia.”

Chimba said M’membe was not an angel who should insulate himself from criticism when he was a deep player in the politics of the country.

“Who says people can’t talk about Fred M’membe. I have nothing against Fred M’membe and against The Post. Professionally, even personally I have nothing against Fred M’membe. If he has got something against me, its because of what I did for Stand Up for Zambia,” he said.

Chimba urged the PF to concentrate on the promises made to the Zambian people in the run up to elections instead of persecuting him.

“Failures by the PF outweigh the success,” he said.

Chimba said although he didn’t support or agree with President Sata, he will respect him as a democratically elected leader ushered into office through a legitimate election.

1. Just ine case
    Posted January 16, 2013 at 9:40 am | Permalink

Chanda chimba is a loser together with MMD. You can’t change peoples attitudes with such a waste of material and resources.
    Who taught you journalism? They must be very embarrassed.
    PF exercise democracy, don’t just point at those you want to see behind bar.

• youtom
      Posted January 16, 2013 at 11:41 am | Permalink

What Chimba did was merely to collect all previous speeches of Michael Sata and put them together into a documentary.If what Sata said was bad,do not blame the mirror.

• Yakumbuyo Mm'embe
        Posted January 16, 2013 at 3:32 pm | Permalink

Just ine case tell your CNP that he should not waste material and resources pursuing Prophet Chanda Chimba, III. There is a country to run please. Hospitals need medicines, schools need text books, civil servants and the policemen you are using to chase others need better pay, the youth you promised jobs are still unemployed. Come on CNP leave Chimba alone.

2. Majaliwa
    Posted January 16, 2013 at 10:02 am | Permalink

fyafumina kumalushi! Ilyo balekulishamo kuli RB walemwentula. which pf promises are u trying to talk about? pf yalilaile ukwisapwisha amafisakanwa mwalecita na rb no tundila twakwe, eco bakufonena chimbwi.

• Chikwanda
      Posted January 16, 2013 at 11:44 am | Permalink

Ba Majaliwa naimwe. Even a grade one alishiba what promises Sata made. Ninshi ba makaka mulefyaya.

• Tombolilo
        Posted January 16, 2013 at 3:01 pm | Permalink

Amafisakanwa? Just keep you stinking mouth shut you idiot and leave Chanda Chimba, III alone. Unless you are Fred Yakumbuyo Mm’embe, Winter Kabimba, Fackson Shamenda , Amos Malupenga or indeed Given Lubinda who still do not see that what Chimba talked about is happening.

3. Mu Zambian
    Posted January 16, 2013 at 10:38 am | Permalink

Chimba’s documentaries may have been unpopular and unethical but with the benefit of hindsight, they now seem to have contaied some truth given sata’s performance and conduct so far.

4. CNP-4U
    Posted January 16, 2013 at 11:46 am | Permalink

Chanda Chimba III is the man..its true..I love your stance my brother!be strong and you shall conquer!!!!!!!!!

5. Majaliwa
    Posted January 16, 2013 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

Twalishiba ama promises Sata apangile ba Cikwanda, yamo pali ayo, alilaile ukukanda abamisoka muli 90 days, nshishibe ico acelelwa ifi ukulimuna ichimbwi.

all in all nangu acelwe, akafikilisha, ngefifine afikilisha.

• RABID DOG
      Posted January 16, 2013 at 2:56 pm | Permalink

Majaliwa, natukwishiba iwe niwebo Fred Iyakumatako Mm’embe. Inshoselo shobe shileilanga shetani wakantu iwe.

6. Chris
    Posted January 16, 2013 at 6:11 pm | Permalink

Red sky at night delights the pirates at sea

7. Majaliwa
    Posted January 16, 2013 at 11:01 pm | Permalink

RABID DOG, walishiba sir name yobe mucibemba? nimbwa, shilubwense, mukusa, kamung’aa, kalya mulushi, kaboso etc,

wabosa teine Mmembe!

8. Chanda Chimba IV
    Posted January 18, 2013 at 12:33 pm | Permalink

I know that some of you sleep ne nsele mukanwa so napapata mwintuka. That said, I must state that I never really agreed with the approach taken by my predecessor Chanda Chimba III in attacking Sata but the content was as ‘youtom’ points out factually correct. Let me take you back to the Time FTJ was the one. A certain man named Captain Solo openly said this man was a thief and took it upon himself to change things. He didn’t succeed as his plans were frustrated and I’d like to believe that the next couple of years saw him receive so much beating that the only thing left to do was find Jesus and supposedly forgive FTJ. As fate would have it four years Levy brought out the same issues which subsequently saw the removal of FTJs immunity. So I ask…. What exactly is Chanda Chimba in for because everything he said has to some extent come true. If it’s a question of the means or approach, then maybe Solo’s was too radical. Since the hatred runs in the family, I took time to relook the promises and look at what I found
    • We shall remove all cadres serving in missions abroad and replace them with professionals. As I speak, the current government has recalled nearly 200 diplomats and replaced them with yet another crop of cadres and relatives of cabinet Ministers. Examples are there in Japan Namibia Etc
    • We shall hire professional in local Civil Service. Today the story is exactly as in the MMD. Just look at the DCs
    • We shall remove the public order Act because it’s a bad law. Today it a good law and so on and so forth
    • And perhaps interesting is Mrs. Integrity Syvia Masebo the Cross-titude who is busy creating internally displaced persons in her constituency and claiming to be very fair