The world soccer governing body FIFA has issued the official outcome of former Chipolopolo coach Dario Bonetti’s complaint against the Football Association of Zambia (FAZ) stating the compensation for the Italian had been determined at US $382, 000 (about K 2 billion).
According to bolazambia, FIFA says FAZ has indicated grounds of appeal against the decision and therefore the decision to award Bonetti $382, 000 was not yet final and binding.
Online media in Zambia first announced that Bonetti would get US $400, 000 and the Italian also said he had been allocated the figure which now FIFA has officially pegged at US $382, 000 and could reduce further depending on the grounds of appeal by FAZ.
FIFA disclosed that the decision has been communicated to both FAZ and Bonetti.
“According to the said decision, the Football Association of Zambia has to pay compensation in the amount of USD 382’000 to the coach, Dario Bonetti,” FIFA’s media department told bolazambia on Saturday.
“We can confirm that a decision was passed by the Single Judge of the Players’ Status Committee in the matter at stake on 19 March 2013. The findings of the decision were notified to the parties this week.
“The Football Association of Zambia made use of its right to ask for the grounds of the decision. The decision is thus not yet final and binding.”
This is the second time in the history of Zambian football a coach has gone to FIFA to demand compensation. Dutchman Jan Brouwer also had a successful petition after his 2001 stint with Chipolopolo. Bonetti was Chipolopolo coach between June 2010 and October 2011 when he was sacked 48 hours after qualifying Zambia to the 2012 Africa Cup of Nations which the team eventually won under Frenchman Herve Renard.