Headlines

PF Supporter Defends Pres. Lungu’s Ubomba Mwibala Alya Mwibala Doctrine

Long time PF social media supporter Kaimfa Chandang”oma has defended President Edgar Lungu’s statement seemingly promoting corruption.

Chandang”oma has been an active social media supporter prior to late President Michael Sata’s victory in 2011.

BELOW IS CHANDANG”OMA’S WRITE-UP

By Kaimfa Chandang”oma

————-

The idiom “up uubomba mwibala, alya mwibala lyakwe”

A number of people have asked me to explain this idiom and more have tagged me to make a comment. The little and simple interpretation I have given seem to have irritated some people who feel the saying should take an interpretation as they want it to be so that the end may justify its means.

What is shocking is that even those that claim not to know bemba today are challenging some of us on the meaning of this bemba idiom. Nshalande ifingi (I won’t say much) to this turn of event.

Origin: I don’t know about the meaning of this idiom on the Copperbelt as my friend Hon Kasololo Chisenga wanted to convince me. But in bemba, the interpretation of this idiom and based on intulo ya iyi nsoselo (origin of this saying), history tells us that many many years ago, it was common among the Lungus of Northern Province that, each person or family in the village had his/their own piece of land from which they cultivated “uubomba mwibala”! Each family or person was therefore expected ukusombola (harvest or reap) from mwibala lyakwe (own field or piece of land or his works).

I challenge any bemba or any person well vested in bemba to give me an idiom or insoselo which encourages theft or corruption later on if there is any African teaching that encourages corruption.

A friend of mine also reminds me that in true African tradition, you work for yourself and family. In the same way Maize was introduced to us and indoctrinated to adopt it as our staple meal replacing the sustainable millet, sorghum and cassava, working for another in return for wages is a western culture and not African. So, in interpreting “uubomba mwibala, alya mwibala lyakwe”, my two cents is” you reap where you sow”!

Ba ZESCO employees, you’ll get paid from were you work, that is Zesco and also recieve free electricity – ukulilapo, UTH staff will will be remunerated by UTH including free UTH medical services. But you need to be work in your field to reap benefits otherwise you end up eating the seed.

Lundenipo

1. blues

Whether misinterpreted or not politician should not take people for granted. Nga wapitilisha amalumbo kuti watuka imfumu. A reminder to all of us next time we go voting let’s remember to vote for an individual and a political because most of the parties have lost direction in terms governance issues and spent much of the time on promoting anarch and division.

2. Hammer

Why should Hechi Hechi start insulting bembas by twisting this idiom . Where is corruption in this idiom ! You are fed by the activity you do ! For Him every eating means corruption, he sees corruption every where even in the honestly acquired wealth . No honest Zambian exist anymore except him who got billions by selling an “idea “in UK.

3. mulase

This is exactly wat it means. Remember this adage came into being long before the animal called corruption wz known.Infact corruption wz brought by our generation..the generation born in the 80s.Even the issue of stealing became rife after Dr Kaunda left govt.I remember the tym I joined Zambia Railways in the early 80s those Locomotive engines could be marooned at a Siding unattended with its Tank full of Diesel and NO one wud tempor with it..but vingachitike manje?That said I urge pipo not to bring old adages which meant well into this corrupt era to mean wat fits them.

4. Maano

Apuu, masholi baa besunu!

5. George Mainza

This idiom about “Ubomba mwibala alya mwibala lyakwe,” is an indirect speach which is similer to “DON’T KUBEBA,”it’s a common ward mostly used by dealers which simply give encouragement to some one who work at a serten place to get something, e.g money even before his/her master’s authority is give. becouse of such things PF have lost its value and it wont help even if they are difending themselves on this idiom.

6. Christopher Silwamba

The Head Of State Used The Idiom Good Faith But Unfortunately The People Have Taken It In Bad Faith Why Not Taking It The Way It Was Used Long Time Ago By The Guidan Of The Spirit Of God. God Bless The Republic. Br.Chris.C

7. Pm

UBOMBA MWIBALA ALYA MWIBALA MEANS IF YOU ARE A FARMER, YOU HAVE TO GET FOOD TO EAT FROM THE SAME FARM IF YOU ARE A TEACHER YOU HAVE TO FEED YOUR FAMILY FROM THAT WORK. NOW WERE IS THE PROBLEM? FOR YOU TO EAT YOU HAVE TO WORK PERIOD.

• E Chibemba nkonko

Yes that is the original meaning but because of ‘kudyelapo’ syndrome, it has been stretched to the corrupt practice of stealing where you work

8. Gumugumu blue mutwe

This idiom might have something else when then bembas made it,but mostly now it is referred to pilfering, heard all over from people in the tendency of stealing from their places of work. Ask how many have been locked up in jail from local courts for stealing and using the same idiom? You might aswel free them since ubomba mwibala,alya mwibala has a new meaning. A wrong is a wrong whether made by the president or not,let’s be fair!

9. Chisenga

THE MEANING IS NOBLE. THE IDIOM IS HOEVER ALSO ABUSED BY PEOPLE WHO WANT TO PLUNDER WHAT IS NOT THEIR’S. OR BY PEOPLE WHO WANT TO STEAL. LET US FOLLOW THE CORRECT MEANING AND NOT BE MISLED BY HH WHO HAS FAILED WHAT TO DO BUT HAS BEEN HANGING ON TO EVERY STRAW.

10. B.I.G

Thieves depends each other, impupu ni pakuboko,evidence is there that there is corruption in this country. Remember that GOD is watching over you.Mugabe is gone now Zuma and next we do not know… The guys are reaping what they sow
    In fact mulishe nasana mwebalebomba mwibala lya chalo with such useless idioms ayabupupu!today Zuma is trouble you will see also one day, we were not fools to vote you in power .Zambians are many than the ministers!!

11. hantanda edward

sakala charles you’re a full to support such stupitity,dont tell me you dont know the meaning of this saying.the fact that we all voted for ecl,this man has failed us,mind you two wroungs cant make a right

12. s phiri

The meaning of this of this idiom has now been given. You reap what you sow. Period. Not you reap what you steal. The two are different. Our president HE ECLwas refering to a peasant farmer who deri

13. s phiri

The meaning of this of this idiom has now been given. You reap what you sow. Period. Not “you reap what you steal”. The two are different. The idiom refers to a peasant farmer who derives his subsistence from his small farm. Those of us who donot hail from the bemba chiefdom shud not claim to be experts in such issues. I therefore advise my sister Edith and my brother Hakainde to seek audience with any bemba chief or their advisors for correct enterpretation to avoid misleading the public. You may be very good at namwanga or tonga but that does not qualify you to be an expert at bemba idiom. I am not an expart either but I have consulted.

14. s phiri

15. Mpundu

You guys should stop bullshitting! Learn to look at the context. Someone was telling his followers to inflate costs by 10% so that they eat. And then he talks about “uboomba mwibala, alya mwibala”. The context is clearly to loot what is entrusted to you as long as you don’t eat the seeds (imbuto)! Better to keep quiet if you have nothing to justify!

16. Mulenga

No matter how much you defend a thief, he or she is a thief. Can’t your so called president learn from what has happened in South Africa? Thieves now days have no shame. Africa and Zambia has no room for corrupt and pretenders. I am shocked at the level of arrogance in today’s political leaders. We shall see!