Market fires have acquired a political significance in the post 2016 general elections with the City Market gutting the most high profile disaster.
Quick response by Lusaka City Council Fire Brigade last night contained the possible fire disaster at Soweto Market
The fire started around 21:00 hours from one of the makeshift restaurants.
Alert marketeers noticed the fire immediately called the toll free line 993 and the LCC fire brigade quickly responded by dispatching all the four new fire tenders.
The fire was in no time contained except for six makeshift restaurants and two makeshift bars which had already been completely gutted by the time the team arrived at the scene.
Preliminary investigations indicate that the fire started from one of the makeshift restaurants as a result of the cooking pot which was left on the blazier unattended.
It is alleged that the boy who was cooking something in the affected shop left the pot on the brazier to go and watch Brazil Vs Belgium soccer match at the nearby pub.
LCC wishes to warn that this is a fire prone period and marketeers and and the general public should take extra care by not leaving fires unattended to.
The local authority also wishes to remind traders in all the markets that trading places are not for spending nights in.
It is expected that all traders should leave the markets immediately the markets are closed for the business of the day.
The quantification of loss in last night fire is under way and the general public will be communicated in due course.
Public Relations Manager