Uncategorized

COVID-19 KILLS ZAMBIA’S MINING EXPERT DR WILFRED LOMBE

Lusaka ~ Sun, 10 Jan 2021

Foremost Zambian mining expert and consultant Dr Wilfred Lombe has died of COVID-19.

Dr Lombe was also former African Minerals Development Centre Coordinator, and Director of Minerals and Energy Policy Centre (MEPC).

He also worked at the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa(UNECA) in Addis Ababa.

Dr. Lombe was the Head of Infrastructure and Natural Resources Development at the Regional Integration, Infrastructure and Trade Division of UNECA.

1. Edward Simukonda

This is a great big loss to the family and Zambia as a whole. MHSRIP.

2. Paul

A great tree has fallen! I worked with Wilfred from when I was in exile and he was at UNZA. Later after liberation in SA we worked together at the MEPC in Joburg and then with UNECA, AMDC and AU on the AMV, CMV and country studies. Last year he completed a useful report of mineral backward linkages (mining supply-chain) in Ethiopia for UNECA. We’ll all sorely miss his talent and contribution.

3. Frank Chombela

Great loss to us all. It’s wrong people who are surviving this Covid-19.

4. Frank Mugyenyi

This is a great loss to Africa as we move into a continental free trade area. Lombe was a guru on Minerals and we still needed his expertise on Minerals Regional ValuesChains. MHSRIP.

5. Kojo Busia

I received the sad news this afternoon with a deep sense of loss and regret! Africa has lost one of its finest professionals in the areas of mineral resources development and governance. Dr. Lombe was for all intents and purposes the unassuming but key intellectual pillar behind the establishment of the African Minerals Development Center from its very inception. He cool and calm demeanor belied his shrewd strategic mind and ability to negotiate and move things forward among a large swathe of Stakeholders. With a core team of internal ECA staff, including myself, Marit and Jereme, he started the AMDC with an ambitious Business Plan and a well-funded kitty; this later blossomed into a staff of about 20 staff soon after his retirement. He was supportive and encouraging to me when I took over the AMDC as the Acting Coordinator after his departure. Always engaging with sharp wits and a strategic mindset! His legacy to Africa would be the work that we carried on after him, which led to sweeping reforms of mineral resource regimes across several African countries. May his gentle soul rest peacefully in the bosom of his maker!

• Jennifer Kargbo

It is with shock, When I received the news of the death of Wilfred Lombe. I worked with Wilfred at the UNECA. Wilfred was first a gentleman extraordinaire, with that calm but captivating influence. His mastery of mining, minerals and energy on Africa was one we all at the UNECA office in Lusaka recognized and relied on. His knowledge of mining and minerals could be found in the many policy work of the UNECA. With this recommending him to lead UNECA’s work at the continental level was not difficult. A role he played exceptionally well.to his retirement.
      Just to show how much I in particular valued his professional wit was me as his Director then at the Southern Africa regional office in Lusaka, after drafting major reports and statement, would rely on Wilfred to shape and fine tuned. He was an excellent writer and an eye for details.
      His death is a big loss to Zambia. His colleagues at the UNECA will miss him. To his family and friends my heartfelt sympathy and condolences. May his soul rest in peace.

6. Malineo Seboholi

I met Dr Lombe in 2011 as one of our trainers at IDEP in Senegal teaching mineral policy and contract negotiations. Since in the Kingdom of Lesotho we did not have a documented policy on minerals, my colleague and I approached him and his colleagues Dr Maponga and Marit on how they can assist us. Speaking today Lesotho was the first country to develop a mining policy compliant with the Africa Mining Vision. As I was championing that work, Dr Lombe was of great assistance, a man who was so soft spoken with his soft smile and jokes. He inspired me to grow and speaking today I am pursuing my Masters Degree in Industrial Policy after 16 years of completing my Bachelor’s degree. What a loss to the Continent. We indeed honour his memory. My sincere condolences to his family.

7. Tapiwa Samanga

Dr Lombe was a gentle and patient mentor, passionate about local content and localisation, will be sadly missed

8. Michael Njunga Mulikita

I wish to express my profound grief upon learning of the untimely death of Dr Lombe. I had the honour of interacting with him when he worked for the UN Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA) whilst I worked with UN Development Programme (UNDP) Regional Peace Building Initiatives Project (2003-2005) , Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. A very decent human being MHSRIEP.

9. César Badogomba

Go well my brother Wilfred.

What a loss for the family, all of us your friends, the nation at large and the African continent!

10. Kempe Ronald Hope

Gone too soon. Rest in peace Wilfred. You were a fine gentleman and great friend and confidant to me and PC.

11. Dr Andrew K. Yaluma

I am in shock!
    I worked with Dr Lombe in the School of Mines at UNZA where he was the Head of Metallurgy and Mineral Processing. A friend just called me moments ago to ask me if I have heard the sad news and I had not.
    Indeed, it is a great loss to Zambia and Africa at large to lose a talented professional Dr Lombe was. We will miss him dearly. MHSRIP

12. KASIRIM NWUKE

Good human being; a very competent professional; a very friendly colleague; a man did not sweat stuff; a gentleman. Now, he is gone. Condolences to his family and to all who mourn him. May his gentle soul rest in peace.

13. Johansein Rutaihwa

I am very devastated with the demise of Dr Lombe. I interacted for the first time with Dr Lombe in 2019 when we hd engaged him to facilitate the SADC Regional mining vision workshop. He was truly patriotic pan african. Currently, Lombe was working with us on the industrialization and domestication assignment through the support of ECA office in Lusaka. May His Dear Soul Rest in Eternal Peace. We will miss his knowledge and expertise.

14. Hamdou Wane

What a sad news! Our dear Brother Wilfred gine with Covid. Professional, gentle, caring. Always serene! He will leave indelible memories to all those who were graced by his presence within us. Condolences to his family and his large circle of friends and colleagues. May he rest in eternal peace! May his family find solace through this difficult time. Au revoir, mon frère!

15. Valerio Bosco

What a shocking and sad news. Such a kind and brilliant man. Riposa in pace